Tuesday 25 February 2014

What’s on your reading list??

Right now, as you read this, I’ve just began my 6 week backpacking trip through South East Asia, currently in Cambodia, with my husband {En-route home to SA}J And of course with trips like these, come long bus rides, overnight trains, and plenty chilling out on the beach days…and so YES that’s where books come in!!

I love reading. There is something so special about getting lost in another world, not being able to put a book down…even reading as you walk to the bathroom…or is that just me?J

With our 2 month South East Asia trip on the horizon, I decided to conform and asked my hubby for a kindle for my birthday. No more trekking 6 books in my hand luggage, just in case I finish the first 5!! 


So, today I thought I’d share with you some of my favourite books of all time and then ask you to comment below with recommendations of good reads for me and my blog followers.

I can’t say I’m into any specific genre of book, although I do find autobiographies or anything to do with History, rather boring. I love stories with strong main characters, people willing to risk their lives for others, people fighting for a greater cause.

Here are my 5 all time BEST reads:

1.   The Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins
I’m not big on fantasy, but oh my goodness these three books are riveting!! Even if you’ve seen the movies already, the books are still worth reading!! I read the entire third book on a 4 hour plane trip to the Philippines a few months ago {It’s THAT good}!

2.   Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
This love story, based on a story from the Bible, is just beautiful. It’s all about forgiveness, betrayal and deep acceptance. I cried numerous times while reading it, and I'm not the reading crying type. A beautiful story that will challenge your views on view, acceptance, commitment and even marriage.

3.   Eat, Pray, Love
Dare I say more. This is an all time favourite of mine!!! Being pretty self reflective myself, I just loved her sense of adventure and all that she embraced as she journeyed through three incredible countries, learning so much about herself as she went along. It was this book, that inspired us to go to Bali on our Honeymoon!!

4.   House Rules by Jodi Picoult
Jodi Picoult is my favourite author, and meeting her in person in South Africa in 2012 was an utmost privilege. Being an author who puts in a lot of research into each of her books, this novel based on a teenage boy who suffers from Asperger’s Syndrome, who keeps showing up at crime scenes, was absolutely brilliant. A real eye-opener into the world of someone who struggles with a syndrome such as Aspergers.  

5.   The Mark of the Lion series by Francine Rivers
The first of these novels, A Voice in the Wind, transports you back to Jerusalem during the first Jewish-Roman War, some seventy years after the death of Christ; however this is no way a boring history book. Through out this novel, you not only fall in love with the main character Hadasah, a slave girl, and you journey with her as she stands up for what's right, loves without condition and faces the worst of circumstances. The next books, follow on from where book 1 ends off, and the story only gets more riveting!!

Although based in Christian times, these three books should and must make it onto your reading list if you're someone who values justice, has a love for the poor and who's heart resonates with those fighting for a greater cause.

Now, it’s your turn. Please share some of your favourite books with me and my readers. Personally, I’m dying to download some new books on my kindle and get reading J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...